Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Not Exactly the Type of Advice I Was Looking For...

As I'm beginning the job search, I'm talking to lawyers and trying to get helpful advice about how to enter the profession, what advice do you have about becoming an estate planning/probate lawyer etc. I feel like for the most part, these chats have been very informative and a great way to meet people. 

Until last night, that is.

I met a very nice lawyer who practices in some of the areas of law I'm interested in. This is about how our conversation went:

Lawyer: So what year are you?
Me: I'm a 3L at Texas Tech. I'm so excited to almost be done blah blah blah and I want to practice estate planning and probate law
Lawyer: Oh I do some estate planning and probate
Me: Oh really? Can you give me any advice about entering the field or what you believe every attorney practicing that area should know?
Lawyer: Quit law school now and go to med school. Seriously, you will make more money and in some instances have better hours...



Seriously? Oh thanks, let me just go ahead and drop out! That's such a great idea! Even though I've made it to my last year and have a buttload of debt, let me go ahead and go to med school where I'll be in school until I'm 35, quadruple the debt I've already accumulated, and want to faint on a daily basis because I can't deal with blood.

Obviously I didn't say that. But I wanted to.

Anyways, after that little nugget of wisdom, he actually proceeded to give me some really good advice (only inserting med school every once in awhile). There are moments in life when I think to myself "if I'm ever in the situation to give advice, hire someone, fire someone, etc., I will never do/say etc. what that person did/said etc. to me... especially a 3L who is so excited about almost being done with law school and entering in to a profession that she has wanted to be in since middle school. I definitely don't want to hear that law school is "as good as it gets." Woof. 

Anyways, thought I'd share my little experience so that when you're in this situation, years from now, you know what not to do.

Have a great Hump Day loves

<3 K



3 comments:

  1. seriously? Though I sometimes wish I had done that exact same thing. coming from someone who went through this, hang in there. apply everywhere, call everyone you know, call random people... just call and follow up! effort goes a long way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be sure to talk to the med students at the halloween party - I'm pretty sure they would disagree with this "advice". I second Illegally Blonde's advice to call everyone you know and to leave no stone unturned. I got my job by my mom facebook messaging a fellow PTA mom who was the wife of an attorney who just happened to be looking for a new associate. Random, yes, but "a job is a job" (you'll start to hear that a lot). Also, do try to prepare yourself mentally for some letdowns. It MAY (or may not) take a while to find something. I cried and felt like a total failure MULTIPLE times during the job search. I'm guessing I'm not the only one. Try to keep positive (as you seem to be doing), and it'll come, sooner or later. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Katie! Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier and commenting. I meant to email you back, but couldn't find an email address to contact you on, so thought I would just post here. My recipe for cranberry pumpkin bread (which is actually my mom's!) is always a fave, and you can find it, plus a couple other recipes I shared last week on this post: http://the-newly.blogspot.com/2012/10/fall-faves-recipes-to-share.html
    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete